If we’re talking about quick and easy, there can’t be any other dish that wins this game in my books besides this Chinese inspired tomato and egg recipe!
You can pretty much call this dish scrambled eggs in tomato sauce honestly as it is what it is and it literally takes less than 30 minutes to make. Also, it makes a delicious and healthy comfort food (just take it easy on the oil!).
This is indeed my ultimate favorite tomato and egg dish. I make this recipe at least once a week! And I always have eggs and tomatoes (or tinned tomatoes) in my pantry just so I can make different variations of this dish.
Chinese Tomato and Egg Recipe
Can I put other ingredients in this tomato egg recipe?
Absolutely! Modify it to suit your taste. I prefer it as simple as it gets on hot steaming rice or noodles but every now and then I do add other ingredients in this dish like mushrooms or scallions. So, feel free to use this recipe as inspiration to whatever dish you want to make out of it.
Is this tomato egg dish healthy?
The proper and original Chinese version, this tomato and egg recipe is usually cooked in a lot of oil so depending on who you ask, it might be deemed not so healthy.
However, this recipe I have here is inspired by the original version and I only used 2tbsp of vegetable oil. 1tbsp to cook the scrambled eggs and 1tbsp to sautée the aromatics.
Beyond the fat content, I would say that if you take it easy on the salt, then this dish is healthy.
So, how to make this tomato and egg recipe?
As always, I have all the details in the recipe card below but here’s a quick summary on how to make this super easy tomato and egg stir fry:
- Season and beat your eggs and cook it on a frying pan on medium heat with 1tbsp of oil, mix gently, and once cooked, set aside.
- Add more oil on the same pan you cooked the eggs and stir fry your aromatics until soft, fragrant, and slightly caramelized then add your chunks of tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Crank the heat down to medium-low, season lightly, and let this concoction simmer down until most of the moisture has evaporated making sure you’re stirring time to time so it won’t stick to the pan and burn.
- Once the tomato sauce is ready to rock and roll, add in your scrambled eggs, stir and cook for a minute or so or until everything is well combined.
- Enjoy with a hot steaming mountain of rice or noodles!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin this for later!
Do you want more egg dish recipes?
- Vegetarian Filipino Eggplant Omelet (Tortang Talong Recipe)
- Delicious Tomato, Mushrooms and Spinach Omelette Recipe
Scrambled Tomato and Egg Recipe (Chinese Inspired)
- 2 cloves Garlic - Minced
- 1 small Shallot - Minced
- 2 medium Eggs - Beaten
- 2 medium Tomatoes - Chopped in cubes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper - To taste
- 1/2 cube Chicken Bouillon Cube - Optional
- 1 dl Water
Prepare the egg
- Season the beaten egg with a bit of salt
- Heat your non-stick frying pan on medium heat, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and fry your eggs
- Using a wooden spatula or chopsticks, move the egg around and tilt the pan so that the raw eggs on top will touch the pan to cook
- Treat this as if you're making an omelet so keep it moist and a bit undercooked
- Remove from the pan and set aside
Prepare the tomato sauce
- On the same frying pan, add the remaining vegetable oil on medium-low heat
- Add the garlic and onion and let it sautée for about a minute or until fragrant and carmelized
- Add your tomatoes and let it fry for another minute or two
- Add the tomato paste and let it sautée for just a bit longer
- Add water, bouillon cubes, honey, a bit of salt, and a pinch of black pepper
- Let this simmer down while stirring it every now and then
- Once the water is almost evaporated and you're left with a tomato sauce, add the egg scramble and mix until the egg is covered with the sauce
- Let it cook together for a few seconds and its ready