Perhaps one of the best Vegetarian Filipino dishes available in a lot of restaurant establishments in the country, tofu in so many ways is a big part of the Filipino diet.
This Filipino sizzling tofu recipe or tofu sisig is inspired by one of the famous restaurant chains in the country called Max and a lot of the locals really enjoy this dish with rice.
Tofu sisig not only make a great viand but also an amazing beer snack! Yes, crispy sizzling tofu, beers, and your friends. It is a versatile dish you can easily share with friends.
Filipino Style Sizzling Tofu Recipe (Tofu Sisig Recipe)
Marinate the tofu and pre-cooking
The most important part of this dish is obviously the tofu so it is important that you get the firm version as the soft one will just turn into mush.
Tofu on its own is really bland so it is important to flavor it well and let it sit in the marinade for few hours so it absorbs all the flavor you want it to have.
In this recipe, I chose the classic tofu sisig marinade which consists of soy sauce, lime or kalamansi juice, garlic, and onion powder. I let mine marinate for about a couple of hours.
After the marination, you’d want your tofu to be crispy or have a crunchy bite as it is always good to have texture in food.
You can cook the tofu two ways – you either crisp it up in the oven or you deep fry it. Most restaurants in the Philippines and most sizzling tofu recipes you’ll find online usually opt for the latter and this recipe, I chose to crisp up the tofu in the oven as I wanted to provide a healthier option.
That said, you can, of course, cook the tofu however you want so if you do not have an oven, fry it up. Either way, it will taste great.
The sauce is the motherload
Do not underestimate the power of the sauce! I know that we’ve already added flavors when we marinated it but sometimes, at least for tofu, it needs more.
So I mixed up some more soy sauce, oyster sauce, lime juice, mayonnaise, and garlic powder. This turned out really great as the combination had the perfect balance between savory, sweet, and tang.
How to make this sizzling tofu recipe?
The steps I’ve laid out for this is in the recipe box below but working in order is crucial for this dish especially if you are going to serve this in a sizzling plate.
However, it is truly simple and uncomplicated. Just make sure that you pre-cooked your tofu, mixed your sauce, and chopped all your veggies for the stir fry.
After that, you heat your pan and stir fry your veggies and then add your crispy tofu, mix until combined and add half of the sauce you made, mix until all tofu is coated with the sauce.
Ready your sizzling plate and add a blob of butter so nothing will stick to it (and extra flavor, of course!), add your tofu mixture, add the remaining sauce, make it fancy, take a photo for Instagram, and mix it on the plate in front of your guests!
Okay, maybe it sounds a bit hectic but if you follow my guideline below, it shouldn’t be that hard.
Remember to visualize your prep especially if you’re making a new dish you’ve never made before!
Do I need a sizzling plate for my tofu sisig?
Nope! You can make this sizzling tofu recipe with or without the sizzling plate. Honestly, this plate is mostly for presentation. It doesn’t really make the dish taste any better than it already is. Don’t stress out yourself looking for a sizzling plate, just fry everything on a pan and voila, the same exact dish sans the sizzling.
Are you on Pinterest? Pin this for later!
Looking for more Sizzling recipes?
Sizzling Tofu Recipe
- Sizzling plate (optional)
Oven crispy tofu
- 500 g Firm Tofu - Sliced into cubes
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 ml Garlic Powder
- 1 ml Onion Powder
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 ml Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 pcs Red Pepper - Chopped. Bellpepper is fine too
- 1 pcs Thail Chili - Optional
- 1 small Red Onion - Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic - Minced
For the sizzling plate
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Heat your oven to 200°C/400°F
- In a bowl, mix tofu, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and oil
- Line a baking pan with silicone baking mat or parchment paper and spread the tofu on the sheet making sure that they are not touching each other
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until nice and brown
- Place the sizzling plate in the oven at the same time and keep it in there until before serving
Mix the sauce
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise, oyster sauce, garlic powder, lime juice, and water
Stir-fry the tofu and other ingredients
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add the sesame oil and sautée the garlic, onion, pepper, and chili until soft and fragrant
- Add the baked tofu and half of the sauce and mix until combined
Assemble the sizzling plate
- Take the sizzling plate from the oven and melt the butter on it making sure that the whole plate is covered with the fat
- Put the tofu on the sizzling plate and drizzle the rest of the sauce on top and garnish with spring onion and a bit of sesame seeds